names for bars and clubs are; Tangerine, The Opium Den, The
Blue Martini, Ghost Bar, The Town Pump, Buddha Lounge, Whiskey
Park, Sky Bar, The Well, Beauty Bar, Fifty-Seven Fifty-Seven,
Narcissus, Balance, Tantra, Honey, Envy, Liquid, Tonic, Cream,
Light, Rain, Room, Thin, Here, Meet, and The Pegu Club.
Drinking words heard are; boneless, get the fade on, tight,
torqued, wired to the tits, bulletproof, shined, picassoed, locked
out of your mind, jagged up, in the paint, pixilated, jackassed,
punch drunk, and drink as hell.
2000 The film Coyote Ugly shows scantily clad cowgirl bartenders
slinging whiskey and dancing on the bar top.
2000 The Beekman Arms of Rhinebeck in NY is the oldest continuously
operating tavern in America.
2000 Alizé Red Passion is introduced.
2000 Wild Turkey Russell’s Reserve is introduced to America
2000 Smirnoff twist flavored vodkas are introduced.
2000 Tequiza Extra hits the shelves.
2000 Baffert’s gin is introduced.
2000 Doc Otis Hard Lemon hits the market.
2001 Fidel Castro and the Cuban government shocks the world when
they announce that they will begin to produce their own rum and
name it Bacardi, saying, the famous rum is his and better than
theirs. As of 2006, no rum has been produced from Castro.
2001 Michelob Ultra is introduced.
2001 Gary Regan introduces his Cocktails in the Country Bartender
2001 Hpnotiq plans to launch on September 11th, but America is
attacked on that day so the launch takes place months later.
2001 James Zemaitis, the Vice President of Sotheby's, organizes
the first show and sale of cocktail shakers & barware for
Phillips Auction in NYC and coins the words, Cocktail Modernism
for the thirty-featured items.
2002 James Bond orders a Mojito in the film, Die Another Day,
and revives this classic cocktail exploding it worldwide.
2002 Wet by Beefeater is marketed.
2002 Smirnoff Black Ice is launched.
2002 Hiram Walker introduces the first liqueur with 100% natural
ingredients called Fruja.
2002 Matusalem Rum is re-launched.
2003 Absolut Vanila hits the market with a frosted bottle.
2002 The Bordeaux Ecole de Management offers a masters wine program.
2003 New York, Florida, Maine, Connecticut, Alabama, and Oklahoma
pass smoking bans for bars.
2003 Blavod black vodka from America is marketed.
2003 Heaven Hill buys Hpnotiq.
2003 Archaeologists find five earthenware jars of 2,000 BC year
old rice wine in an ancient Han dynasty tomb in Eastern China.
The bouquet is still intact.
2004 The top ten best selling beers in America are; Bud light,
Bud, Miller Lite, Coors Light, Natural Light, Corona, Busch, Busch
Light, Miller High Life, and Heineken.
2004 The top ten best selling spirits in America are; Smirnoff,
Bacardi, Absolut, Jack Daniel’s, Jose Cuervo, Captain Morgan,
Hennessy, Johnnie Walker, and Jim Beam.
2004 The American Beverage Institute introduces the public service
message; Drink Responsibly. Drive Responsibly.
2004 Absolut Raspberri is introduced.
2004 Iceberg vodka made from the water of melted icebergs is introduced.
2004 DNA alcohol evidence is found in Peruvian mummy hair.
2004 Perrier launches the portable plastic bottle.
2004 Archeologists find 7000 BC winemaking pottery in Northern
2004 The hit film, Sideways, skyrockets the sales of Pinot Noir.
2005 The Museum of the American Cocktail opens in New Orleans,
founded by Dale and Jill DeGroff, Anistatia Miller, Jared Brown,
Robert Hess, Ted Haigh, Chris & Laura McMillian, and Phil
2005 The FBA Pro Tour of International Flair Bartending competitions
Gary Regan introduces Regan’s Orange Bitters.
2005 There are 565,000 licensed alcohol beverage outlets in America.
316,000 are licensed for on-premise sales.
2005 NAVAN, a vanilla flavored cognac from Grand Marnier is launched.
2005 Captain Morgan Tattoo is introduced.
2005 The first scholarly journal of the cocktail, Mixologist:
The Journal of the American Cocktail, is published by Anistatia
Miller and Jared Brown.
2005 All American states adopt a BAC level of 0.08.
2005 Absolut Apeach is introduced.
2005 Anistatia Miller and Jared Brown launch their own formulation,
Heavy Water Vodka.
2005 Goya, The largest cocktail bar in the world opens in Berlin.
2005 Molson merges with Coors.
2005 Bailey’s Caramel is launched.
2005 Bailey’s Chocolate Mint is launched.
2006 The Tequila Trade Agreement is signed by the United States
and Mexico allowing the continued bulk import of Tequila into
the United States.
2006 South Carolina’s bartenders no longer have to use miniature
2006 Beverage Alcohol Resource (BAR), the very first culinary
mixology course for the appreciation, understanding, and service
of adult beverages opens in New York City.
Oprah Winfrey makes a Pomegranate Martini on her show and
bartenders across America get bombarded with requests for
the Martini even though most bars don’t carry pomegranate
2006 The largest Champagne Pyramid is constructed in Amsterdam.
37, 820 glasses are used and it stands 60 stories high.
2006 A new category of Tequila is established. It's an ultra-aged/vintage
aged in oak barrels for 3 years. It's called "maduro".
2006 The Museum of the American Cocktail opens in Las Vegas, after
Hurricane Katrina destroys most of New Orleans.
2006 CMT airs a reality show called Inside the Real Coyote Ugly.
Ten girls are chosen out of one thousand to learn how to bartend
Coyote Ugly style.
2006 On May 13th cocktail connoisseurs worldwide gather in many
locations to celebrate the 200th year of the cocktail.
2006 Imbibe drink culture magazine is introduced.
2006 San Francisco Cocktail week debuts.
Tobin Ellis is selected as the bartender to compete aganist Bobby
Flay in his TV show, Throwdown! with Bobby Flay.
2007 Absolut Pears is introduced.
2007 St Germain Elderflower Liqueur is introduced.
2007 Lucid becomes the first absinthe allowed back into the U.S.
after being banned for 95 years.
2007 Trump vodka is released.
2007 Pat O'Brien's celebrates it 75th anniversary.
2008 BarSmarts™, a one-of-a-kind online bartender education and certification program sponsored by Pernod Ricard USA, is developed in collaboration with the world's most celebrated cocktail experts from BAR, LLC.
2008 The first Cocktail Film Fest takes place in New Orleans at the W.
2008 Canton French Ginger Liqueur is introduced.
2008 The Stanislav Vadrna's Analog Bar-tending Institute travels the world.
2008 The Sazerac becomes the official cocktail of New Orleans through Bill No. 6.
2008 Mr. & Mrs. Cocktail (Paul and Ann Tuennerman) host a New Orleans radio show called The Straight Pour.
2008 P Diddy releases Ciroc vodka.
2009 The Mai Tai becomes the official cocktail of Oakland.
2009 Justin Timberlake has a new Tequila called 9:01.
2009 The Ritz-Carlton launched a new "Bar Experience" globally that featured a Bar Edible menu with a fresh twist on solid and traditional cocktails.
2009 Tobin Ellis starts the monthly event, Social Mixology – Late Night Cocktail Culture in Vegas.
2009 Absolut airs a bartender mixology TV show special called, On the Rocks
• Jim Meehan comes out with his leather bartender bag and rollup.
Quest for the Best Flair Bartender Competition has its last competition in November in Orlando.
2010 The Manhattan Cocktail Classic debuts.
2010 Jerrfery Morgenthaler batches Manhatans and Negroni then adges them in barrels.
2010 Medea Vodka from Holland is the first to release a bottle with a programmable LED display that can hold up to six different messages each with 255 characters.
2010 1000 bottles of Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix whisky were made available exclusively to members of the online club, Glenfiddich Explorers.
2010 Bols launched in America, Galliano L'Autentico and Galliano Ristretto (55% Arabica beans from Columbia and Brazil and 45% Robusta beans from India and Kenya).
2010 Tiffany & Co. created 73 silver cups for the Kentucky Derby for Mint Juleps to be served in. They sold $1,000 each.
2010 In honor of Elvis's would-be 75th birthday (January 8th), Three-O Vodka put together cocktail recipes, Jailhouse on the Rocks, Blue Suede Shooters, All Shook Up, and The Hound Dog.
2010 To celebrate the 200th anniversary of Frederic Chopin's birth, Chopin Vodka unveiled a hand-blown, seven-foot tall, 200-liter glass bottle on the red carpet at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival (2010). It's the largest bottle of liquor ever to be produced.
2010 Cocktail Kingdom.com made it easy for non-residents of the Caribbean to buy actual swizzle sticks.
2010 Delta Airlines added new cocktails on their flights: Bourbon Breeze • Woodford Reserve Small Batch Bourbon, cranberry & apple juice, and a splash of orange juice with a lime wedge; Marseilles Manhattan • Bourbon, sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters, splash of Ricard, and brandied cherries; Tahitan Dream • Rhum J.M. Gold, Cointreau, orgeat syrup, fresh lime, and hibiscus sugar.
2010 Continental Airlines began offering Vodka Red Bull to their passengers.
2010 Virgin America Airlines offers these cocktails to their passengers: Pomegranate Martini, Mai Tai, and Margarita. All made with Stirrings mixers.
2010 Angostura Bitters Shortage rose due to changes in Angostura's ownership, cash flow problems, and production stoppages.
2010 Sagatiba Cachaça launched in Lebanon, China and Russia.
2010 Kanon Vodka launched, "Jello Shots in Tow".
2010 Moet-Hennessy put sleeves on all their products.
2010 Don Julio's Blanco, Reposado, and Añejo bottles as well as their unique boxes debuted a new modernized, eye-catching design and a new logo that pays tribute to the brand's namesake.
2010 The AWOL machine was invented in the Uk and allowed to function in Australia for precisely one day (AWOL means Alcohol With Out Liquid: you inhale vaporized alcohol and get… vaporized).
2010 Stolichnaya Vodka launched a new ad campaign called, "Would You Have a Drink With You? " which will feature celebrities with Playboy magnate Hugh M. Hefner.
2010 The Los Angeles Times reported that Matthew Biancaniello, a bartender at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel's Library Bar, developed a cocktail called the Indian Summer, which is served in an emu egg.
2010 InBev recalled some batches of Stella Artois beer (250ml bottles) because they may contain small pieces of glass.
2010 Ban on alcoholic energy drinks.
2010 Macallan adopted the ice ball as core to push 18 "on the rock".
2010 The Hungarian liqueur, Zwack was released to the U.S. market.
2010 Indiana – ID must be presented for all off-premises sales as of July 1, 2010.
2010 Nebraska – Legislation passed in 2010 allows for municipalities to extend on-premise sales to 2 a.m.
2010 Pennsylvania – a trial was initiated to test selling wine in grocery stores using vending machines. The buyer must present identification, look into a camera to allow an off site PLCB employee to verify the identification, then blow into a breathalyzer to authorize the sale.
2010 New Book: Punch: The Delights (and Dangers) of the Flowing Bowl
by David Wondrich
2010 New Book: The Modern Mixologist by Tony Abou-Ganim
2010 New Book: Speakeasy: The Employees Only Guide to Classic Cocktails Reimagined by Jason Kosmas and Dushan Zaric
2010 New Book: The Everything Bartender's Book Third Edition by Cheryl Charming.
2010 New Book: Just Martinis: A Little Book of Liquid Elegance by Cheryl Charming.
2010 New Book: Just Margaritas and Sangrias: A Little Book of Liquid Sunshine by Cheryl Charming.
2010 New Book: Just Shots: A Little Book of Liquid Fun by Cheryl Charming.
2010 New Book: The Bartender's Best Friend: A Complete Guide to Cocktails, Martinis, and Mixed Drinks 2nd Edition by Mardee Haidin Regan.
2010 New Book: 101 Blender Drinks By Kim Haasarud.
2010 New Book: Just Tropical Drinks: A Little Book of Liquid Paradise by Cheryl Charming.
2010 New Book: Champagne Cocktails by Jared Brown and Anistatia Miller
2010 New Book: Yuri Kato's Japanese Cocktails by Yuri Kato.
2010 New Book: Left Coast Libations: The Art of West Coast Bartending: 100 Original Cocktails by Ted Munat and Michael Lazar.
2010 New Book: Whiskey For Women by Meghan Leary & forward by Francesco Lafranconi .
2010 Castle from ABC aired an episode that centered around cocktail culture, the history of prohibition in NY and coveting vintage booze.
2010 Mad Men on AMC continues to romanticize the free-flowing Martinis and Manhattans of the early 1960s.
2010 Charlie played by Charlie Sheen continues to booze it up on Two and a Half Men from CBS.
2010 The gang in FX's, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia continues the zany predicaments they get themselves into while in the bar they own called Paddy's Pub.
2010 Boardwalk Empire from HBO is set in Atlantic City during the American Prohibition. In the opening, Dimmi bottles wash up on the shore at Steve Buscemi's feet.
2010 Cougar Town on ABC tipples around the clock with Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. In one episode, Jules (Courtney Cox) held a memorial service for her favorite (but now broken) over sized wine glass.
2010 Salt – Angelina Jolie and several Russian agents all drink a vodka toast. Later, Angelina Jolie uses a bottle of vodka as a weapon.
2010 Princess and The Frog – The frog says, I'll take a pre-dinner cocktail and something to nibble on."
2010 Charlie St. Cloud – Zac Efron invites Amanda Crew for dinner, then asks if she'd like beer or wine. Zac Efron holds a bottle of Jack Daniel's.
2010 The Switch – Lots of drink scenes. Jennifer Anniston and Juliette Lewis and others drink many drinks including Bloody Marys.
2010 Apps: New Orleans' Best Bars by Todd Price.
2010 Apps: Pocket Cocktails.
2010 Apps: Mad Men Cocktail Culture.
2010 Apps: Cocktails+ by Ted Haigh and Martin Doudoroff.
2010 Apps: Cocktails #8 by Simon Difford.
2010 Apps: The Holiday Cocktail Bar by Kim Haasarud.
2010 New Craft Bars: Victory – New Orleans (named after the owner, Daniel Victory)
- Sylvain – New Orleans (in the building where the first Opera ever played in New Orleans in 1796…the name of the comical Opera? Sylvain)
- Tar Pit – Los Angeles
- Painkiller – NYC
- Lani Kai – NYC
- Bar 44 at The Royalton – NYC
- 1534 – NYC
- Cienfuegos – NYC
- Dram – Brooklyn, NY
- Smuggler's Cove - San Francisco
- Michael Mena – San Francisco
- Bar Agricole – San Francisco
- Zero Zero – San Francisco
- Hog & Rocks – San Francisco
- Burritt Room – San Francisco
- Comstock Saloon – San Francisco
- The Residence – San Francisco
- Trader Vic's (reopened in Emeryville from Oakville, CA)
- Locanda da Eva – Berkeley, CA
- Spoonbar – Healdsburg, CA
- Secreto Lounge - Santa Fe, New Mexico
- The bars in Hotel Plaza Real – Santa Fe, New Mexico
- The bars at Cosmopolitan – Las Vegas
- Vanguard – Las Vegas
- Experimental Cocktail Club – Chinatown, London
2010 New Vodka: - Chambord (Black Raspberry vodka)
- Smirnoff Peach
- Smirnoff Mango
- Ivanabitch (bitch?)
- Bootlegger (USA)
- Van Gogh Dutch Caramel
- ZU (bison grass flavored from Polland)
- Medea (wheat-based vodka from Holland with a programmable LED display that can hold up to six different messages each with 255 characters)
- Vesica (potato vodka from Polland)
- Devotion (has Casein, which is a clear protein)
2010 New Gin: - Nolet's (from the maker's of Ketel One and made with Saffron, the world's most expensive spice)
- Sipsmith (from London and made from English barley and with ten different botanicals; Macedonian juniper, Bulgarian coriander seeds and Seville orange peel are a few)
- Beefeater 24 (additional ingredients include Chinese green teas, Japanese Sencha teas, and grapefruit peel)
- Beefeater Winter (additional ingredients include cinnamon, nutmeg and pine shoots)
- Brooklyn (distilled with cocoa nibs and kumquats)
- Cold River (base is from Maine potatoes)
- Oxley Classic English Dry (December 2009, uses a unique cold distillation process)
2010 New Rum: - Smith & Cross (Jamaica)
- Banks Five Island (by John Pellaton, former president of Hine Cognac USA and named after explorer Sir Joseph Banks)
- Black Tot Rare Reserve (England)
- Agua Libre (California)
- Cockspur 12 Bajan (Nicaragua)
- Flor De Caña Grand Reserve
- The Lash Spiced (West Indies rum infused with spices and Bourbon vanilla extract from Asia, India and Madagascar)
- Zaya Gran Reserve (Trinidad)
- Denizen (product of Trinidad and Tobago but it is actually blended in Europe before being imported and bottled in the US)
2010 New Tequila & Mezcal: Ilegal Mezcal (only one "L")
- Excellia Reposado (agave is cooked in brick ovens, natural fermentation and is the aged in former Cognac and Sauternes casks)
- Don Diego Santa (certified Kosher)
- Muchote Reposado (aged 7 months in former Bourbon barrels)
- Nobelza Azul (peppery finish)
2010 New Whiskey: - Maker's 46 Bourbon
- Angel's Envy Bourbon (aged in sherry or port casks)
- Benjamin Prichard's Double Barreled Bourbon (not cut with water; taken from 120 proof to 95 proof and re-barreled in new charred oak barrels)
- Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection
- Evan Williams Singe Barrel 2000 Vintage
- High West Bourye Whiskey (Bou for Bourbon and rye for uh…rye)
- Parker Heritage Collection
- Seagram's 7 Dark Honey
- McKenzie Rye (upstate New York)
- Whistle Pig Rye (imported from Canada and hand bottled in Vermont)
- Hudson Manhattan Rye (New York)
- Templeton Single Barrel Rye
- Glen Thunder Corn Whiskey
- Revel Stoke (re-launch)
- Canadian Mist Black Diamond
- Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix Whisky
2010 New Grape-Based: Courvoisier 12 Cognac
- L'Essence de Courvoisier Cognac (feel free to send me this as a gift!)
- Paul-Marie & Fils Cognac (new to the US market)
- Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac (double distilled in unusual onion headed copper pot Cognac alembic stills)
- Remy V (clear Raw eaux-de-vie taken before aging in oak barrels…so it's not really a Cognac?)
- Enchanto Pisco (collaboration between Peruvian distiller Carlos Romero, Cantina owner Duggan McDonnell, and sommelier/importer Walter Moore)
- Gran Sierpe Pisco (Peru)
- Whitesnake Zinfandel
2010 New Bitters: - Cocchi Americano (Quinquina, flavored with quinine; a Kina Lillet substitute)
- Gran Classico (Bitters of Turin with wormwood and gentian; a Campari substitute)
- Bittermans (Xocolatl Mole, Grapefruit Bitters, 'Elemakule Tiki, and Boston Bittahs)
- Master of Malt Cask-Aged Whisky
2010 New Liqueurs: - Evan Williams Cherry Reserve Kentucky
- Esprit de June (made from French grapevine flowers; Ugni Blanc, Merlot, and Cabernet that has flavors and aromas of wild strawberry, cherry, , raspberry, violet, pear, and peach)
- Zucca Amaro (Italian rhubarb, new to the US market)
- Firelit Coffee (made with San Francisco's Blue Bottle Coffee)
- Agwa De Bolivia (new to the US market, means Water of Bolivia" and made with hand picked wild Bolivian coca leaves in the Andes and then shipped under armed guard in 2000 Kilo Bales to Amsterdam to be macerated and de-cocainized)
- Love Potion #9 (from New Jersey, sugarcane alcohol-based mango, peach, chocolate, vanilla, pear, apple, cherry, and almond)
- Combier Liqueur D' Orange (available in the US for the first time in 175 years)
- Harlem Kruiden (Jägermeister-ish from Holland)
- Hum Botanical (Chicago rum based ginger, kaffir lime, dried organic hibiscus flowers and cardamom created by mixologists Adam Seger and Joe McCanta)
- Xante (pear)
- Creme Yvette (parma violet petals and more)
- Solerno (Sanguinello oranges)
- Goji (harvested by independent Himalayan farmers)
2010 New Beer: - Budweiser 66
- Brass Knuckle Imperial I.P.A.
- Old Dipsea Barleywine Style Ale (aged in Heaven Hill Bourbon – barrels for 10 months)
- Three Floyds Moloko Milk Stout
- Innis & Gunn Oak Aged
- Boom Shakalager
- Gamma Ray
- Double Feature
2010 New Mixers: - Herradura organic agave nectar
- Employees Only mixers (line of artisan bar mixers, lime, grenadine and agave nectar)
- Bacardi Rum's Mojito mix.
- Trader Tiki's Syrups (late 2009)
- Skinny Mixes
2010 New Tools: Japanese barware (many places to find, but the most popular is Cocktail Kingdom)
- From uber bar tools; ProCrush pic and Bostonroll pic
- From BarProducts, Inc; V-Rod, Cap-On, BarConic® glassware, and a Master Mixology section on their sites.
2010 New Misc.: - Whipped Lightning Alcohol Infused Whipped Cream
- Adult Chocolate Milk
2010 New Trends: - Slow Cocktails (growing your own herbs, etc. at home and at the bar)
- Barrel aged cocktails
- Pre-Prohibition style classic cocktails
- Cold maceration
- Molecular Mixology
- Mezcal and Tequilla forward drinks
- Sotol (made from the Northern Mexico, New Mexico, and Texas plant called dasylirion wheeleri)
- Ginger beer
- Coconut water
- Almond milk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Gourmet bitters
- Organic products
- Quality vermouth.
- Tiki bars
- Ice; spheres (balls), blocks, crushed.
- Soda fountain equipment and siphons
- Red Rover Bartenders (celebrity bartenders swapping/traveling to bartend at other bars)
- Flair bartenders crossing over to mixology
- Spirit and cocktail classes
- Regular bars with skilled bartenders and good drinks
- Restaurants incorporating quality into their bar programs from their opening
- Top level bars and lounges concentrating on cocktail presentation with a focus on who's-got-the-biggest/over the rarest/most obscure / most extreme flavors for cocktails
- Food and Cocktail pairings
- Networking through social media
- Bartenders saying, "Indeed"
*Note: Due to being so busy I simply cannot keep up with the cocktail world. I will add more 2011 and 2012 soon.